Wednesday, September 12, 2018

How much more should one say on the social media at 92 years of age?


Perplexed

Life continues to present dilemmas: Certainly they don't diminish with age. I've enjoyed ranting and raving and felt I might still have something to say. Yet the Social Internet is filled with trivia like mine. I well remember having been thrilled as a young man in the Marine Corps during WWII and being mesmerized by the preaching of famed Hollywood Presbyterian minister Louie B. Evans. How exciting to discover 25 years later that he was preaching at National Presbyterian Church in DC. What a marvelous chance to share his powerful sermons with my children. What a disappointment to discover that he should have rested on his laurels.
But what a thrill recently to discover the following on the Internet following some of my recent musings.

from anon  sent 1 month ago
Hi, I just saw your AMA, and I wanted to let you know that I think you're a pretty cool guy, and that the way you articulate yourself and write is just phenomenal to me. Thanks for being you.
So where am I? Should I hang it up? Or perhaps it's time to become more succinct and share a few most heartfelt thoughts and see where they go.

As I approach 93 and continue this marvelous voyage, I continue to wonder:how it is possible that a lower middle-class kid (certainly in the 30's and 40;s most of us with white skin pigment felt most of America was part of a broad middle-class) could experience such a happy, satisfying and fulfilling lifetime experience. Given time to ponder this question, I have identified three underlying pillars or givens that made it possible.
1. A loving family. Yet how contrasted with the present was my nuclear families expression of love. I can remember no kisses or conversations expressing emotions as are so prevalent today. How gratifying, however it was to change and have this in my maturing years.
2. A supportive community. From neighbors on our block, to a neighborhood school, to a local community church (regardless of denomination), my world was slowly expanding,. And it was this latter institution – religious institutions – that I feel is in greatest need for immediate change, Indeed I'm eager to share how I believe “religion” has been totally misunderstood and vilified today as we have glorified terms such as worship, spirituality and meditation.
3. A supportive government. Beginning with public schools, to a vibrant tenth largest city in the countr , to the G. I. Bill of Rights providing financial support for my three academic degrees, to Social Security providing income for my wife and four children in case of a personal catastrophe to me, to a state retirement system proving liveable income for over 32 years, to Medicare providing health care for me and kidney transplants for three of my family members, I have seen citizens paying their taxes providing aid and succor for me and my family. How tragic that “government” is today ridiculed by so many of our citizens.
Yet how frail are some of these institutions today and how divided we are in nurturing them. Perhaps this is enough for me to say now pending having more to say on each of the 3 factors. OR,as
 Douglas MacArthur said to Congress? “??????????????????????????????????????????”

No comments:

Post a Comment