Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Ron reveals some of the principles behind his Ranting and Raving


The responses to my recent Rant regarding the three formative factors shaping my life have been extremely gratifying, yet they put me in a bind! There are so many observations I want to make yet so many of them might seem old-fashioned and counter to political correctness. And – heaven forbid – they may even cause me to lose friends and, even family members. Still the thought that my ramblings might find a responsive ear is something I can't resist.

For example, one issue that immediately comes to mind, and I feel very strongly about is the havoc wrought on families and our culture because of competitive sports. In my day games (sports) were something we did for fun and to fill idle hours. Now the press is for highly competitive teams demanding practice year round and development of skilled athletes at too early an age.

But before getting into something so controversial, I feel it necessary to share further details about my perspective on life as MY clock winds down. I do this because the views I express reflect my lifelong philosophy that is rooted in a few beliefs which include:
  1. I believe that the life of every human being has worth and dignity and is entitled to equal liberty, freedom, and justice.
  2. I believe in the motive force of love. This human relationships must consider the welfare of others, and that true love never seeks to hurt or destroy.
  3. I believe in the authority of reason and conscience and that humans are endowed with a never ending search for truth.
  4. I believe that humans have ever sought to find the source and meaning of life. From prescientific days of superstition. humans have created various dogmas and religions to explain and enhance "the human condition."
  5. Thus, all "love based" religious expressions must be encouraged as a way of seeking and providing ethical behavior.
  6. The individual finds succor, support and encouragement from various groups beginning with the family to the state. The democratic process provides means for members to share ideas, improve life conditions and equality under the law. Cooperative efforts recognize mutual dependence of people throughout the world.
  7. The human experience is enhanced through cooperative endeavors. Life for the individual is enhanced when there is a confirmation by one's peers, providing a critical platform for expression and mutual support.
  8. The work of all employees should be valued and that respect must be tangibly recognized by payment of a living wage.

This statement is my personal adaptation of a 10 point statement of policy developed by Dr. David Rankin, senior minister of the fountain Street Church Grand Rapids, Michigan 1982 – 1998 ordained is a Unitarian minister, David statement has been modified somewhat by the national Unitarian/Universalist church is a statement of their beliefs.

As you can see, there is no mention of God. As a congregant of his Grand Rapids church I participated in a class in which the encouraged us to develop our own Definition of the Word, God.

So that's a further background to my story. I think you will see it reflected in the way I look at life. Next week or asap, I'll share my thoughts on the impact of “the sporting life” on children, the family structure and society.

No comments:

Post a Comment