Thursday, March 21, 2019

It must not be lost - Jazz, that is


It will take me longer than a week to react to the response (and non-responses) I received to my two assertions:
  1. That all religions are”man” (human) made, and
  2. That all religions reflect their social milieu and that Christianity specifically needs another Reformation if it is to survive as a positive force for good.
In retrospect, I must admit that is quite a grandiose expectation. But do it, I MUST! But I will do it as an educator and not as a theologian.

But first another topic that has attracted me since the early days of the Lucky Strike, Hit Parade, a radio show of the '40's and 50's.

With the over abundance of music available today, I fear that some lesser known sources will eventually atrophy because of disuse. Here are three things, I'd like my children – and all G_d's children to know about.

Tippin' In - Erskine Hawkins

Wildroot – Woody Herman and Neal Hefti

While those two are little known and appreciated numbers from the 40's, I, as an inveterate Jazz lover, am concerned that most young jazz aficionados have not had the opportunity to hear the little known small Jazz group The Jim Cullum Jazz Band.

Stanford University has archived the music of this group which performed from 1948 – 2007. This includes the almost 400 National Public Radio one hour programs recorded by the band at the San Antonio River Walk. (What a privilege for me to grow up in that city and hear him through the years.) The programs are hosted by many jazz greats from Jack Teagarden to Joe Williams and pay tribute to most all the outstanding musicians from Louie to Fatha. If you love small groups or want to know more about jazz,you will be ecstatic with:

http://riverwalkjazz.stanford.edu/

No comments:

Post a Comment