Friday, June 12, 2020

A rant and a rave I just had to make


I was heartened by the following statement last week in The Washington Post quoting a prominent evangelical Christian:

Starting off the march on a nondescript side street off Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard in Anacostia was David Platt, pastor of one of the nation’s largest and most high-profile evangelical churches, McLean Bible.
We pray that you would forgive us for our history and our present,” Platt, who is white, said as he marched.”

But upon further reflection, I became incensed! Certainly church institutions are not perfect social organizations. And as a 94 year old member of a variety of mainline churches, I am among the first to admit the manifold SINS of churches collectively and church members individually. Yet I am proud of the awakening and action I have seen in progressive, RELIGIOUS organizations to further embrace the cause of human dignity and justice for all human beings. In my last 50 years of church attendance I have seen progress I could never have anticipated. The underpinning of the cause was set by leaders such as King and Gandhi.. The future looks bright to me as I see those causes being espoused by young people of all hues in the streets.
There truly has been a malaise permeating our country since its founding and hopefully we can finally admit it and do something about it.

1 comment:

  1. The Borgata's buffet reopens July 1 with a new buffet
    The Borgata 원주 출장안마 has 원주 출장샵 announced that The Buffet will reopen July 광명 출장마사지 1. Borgata's is a leader in the 안성 출장마사지 Garden State, 시흥 출장샵 and one of the most popular spots in

    ReplyDelete