Monday, September 7, 2020

A vital question for this Labor Day.

 What does Labor Day mean to YOU?

When I was a junior high school principal, it meant I would spend the next 9 months being away from my family a great deal of the time.

Today as a retiree, it means looking for something meaningful and worthwhile to do.

To the labor union leader, it meant that we had gained power almost equal to that of management.

Today for many of our workers, it means their jobs were shipped overseas.

To a student in elementary school, (depending on his/her/their ability) it meant 9 months of making A's or D's and F's.

Today it means staying at home with the computer and zooming with friends.

To a nurse, (I've been told by a friend) when you worked changing shifts it meant Labor Day is just another shift.

Today the reply to me is, it's the same.

To the worker at McDonald's it meant ( hopefully, at least) time and a half for overtime.

Today it means I have no job because a pandemic slows business.

To the refugee at the U. S./Mexican border hoping for a job in the fields of West Michigan, it meant a new life is possible for me and my family,

Today it means that the Lady in the New York harbor has extinguished her welcoming light and I must return to a life of fear for my children and me.

I SINCERELY hope you enjoy a great holiday. May we all reflect on the great privileges so many of us have in this country. I “pray” that the president we elect in November has the wisdom and courage to heal our wounds and bring us ALL together.

I hope to get to my promised RANT about America Losing its Soul in tomorrow's conversation.

Ron

To the reader pf this Rant, I must advise you that I shall no longer Rant.  Instead I hope to converse with young people around the world on Reddit. Of course, I think of everyone 93 and younger as young, I can be reached (according to my grandson: at:


Jake DeBacher

Sun, Sep 6, 10:37 AM (1 day ago)
to Ron

If you want people to go to your general profile to see the posts you've made recently, here's the link: https://www.reddit.com/u/dcretiree

If you want them to go to your current "ongoing AMA" page, use this link: https://www.reddit.com/user/dcretiree/comments/ij13dm/iama_94yearold_man_and_i_have_found_great_joy_in/

No comments:

Post a Comment