Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Another lesson from an immigrant*




*I hesitate to use the word. Given the present president, it almost has a negative connotation in contrast with what our country has stood for in the past.

Sitting next to my Uber driver, Johnny, in the front seat of his Impala, I knew I would learn something about Africa. I of course failed his quiz about the location of Uganda, but I did learn a great deal about him, Green Cards and his view of America.

I was quick to learn that he came to the United States to attend college and continued to renew his Green Card as required every five years. He became a teacher of computer science at a local high school and has raised a family of four children all of whom are also going to college. Continuing our personal conversation, I commiserated by stating that I felt it a shame that it was necessary for him to have a second job. "On the contrary" he stated, "I do it because in my culture I feel a responsibility to make more money to take care of my extended family members. That's the way we do it in our culture."

I also ask about the citizenship process for him in our country and he stated that every five years he had to report for green Card renewal and if one's records were clean, one could apply for citizenship. When I ask why he would choose to have citizenship he stated that "anyone would be a fool not to do so.”

Having picked me up at my Unitarian church, he informed me that he was Christian. Upon returning home, I discovered that 87% of Uganda is Christian.

I was most appreciative of having Johnny reaffirm my belief in the basic tenets of our country, and I can only think of Frank Sinatra's rendition of The House I Live In, and its closing lines

And the people that I meet,
The faces that I see
All races, all religions,
That's America to me.



4 comments:

  1. I look forward to your next installment, Ron.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May I guess who the only person who commented is, a relative? I'm just now working on another one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No Ron. I discovered you, entirely by accident, on Reddit. I'm English and a former headteacher who now runs around the outside of education doing whatever comes my way. Your blog is always a delight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I finally found out how to respond to you. Send me an email at rjlehker@gmail.com. I'd like to learn more about you and our joint profession Teaching. I too was a "headmaster" only I was a Principal.

      Delete