Friday, August 21, 2020

One word that describes all Americans: Ron's Daily Rant #2

 PS!  Please note that this was written about 6 AM Friday morning. I was so FEARFUL yesterday that Joe Biden would muck up his speech Thursday night that I went to bed last night without hearing his address. I see that he uses THAT word, FEAR, quite a bit.  And I was not only FEARFUL, but AFRAID.

One word that describes all Americans: Ron's Daily Rant #2

That's what came to my mind this morning when I woke up. What word do you think of?  Mine is the word "fearful"!

I surprised myself. It's a word I thought I would never use in describing America. But then again, in my 94 years, I have never seen my country so divided. Fortunately I then recalled a history lesson we talked about in the schools I was fortunate enough to attend: "That the only thing we have to fear, is fear itself.”

And then I thought of my first rant and the words I had underlined: words like hope – trust – pray – believe – feel.

I also recalled a man whose biography I discovered again by chance: William James. This Harvard professor whose lifetime extended from Ralph Waldo Emerson to Karl Jung who was both a medical doctor and philosopher (physiologist and psychologist) was extremely influential in guiding American thought through wars and pestilence. Most important for me has been his clarification of those four words and many others of a similar type.

I believe my country will again realize that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself if we can again trust the democratic process.

Thanks for reading. I hope you will share your thoughts with me on my rant blog.

PS 2:10 PM  I have heard Joe's speech.  That brief 25 minutes (for him) would have been over 2 hours had he but had his usual audience.  So much of what America needs.  I now feel confident that RIGHT  can again prevail.

No comments:

Post a Comment